Sub-Sister: Adventures in Substitute Teaching

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Who are you today?

I've been substitute teaching for the past month, and every day I get asked who I "am" for the day. Makes me feel like a celebrity impersonator.

I so wish I had the nerve to write about some of the stuff I've experienced.

OK. I just scrounged up that nerve. I need to share with someone.

My "favorite" day so far was in the HS math classes I recently had. First off: algebra. No biggie. I had algebra. 16 years ago. It'll come back to me. And Lo and Behold! It did come back. At least, I think it did... then again, I may have screwed up those kids' views on exponents for the rest of their lives.

Next up: trigonometry. I had trig. 15 or so years ago. I don't think it ever really sunk in. I scan the book... sine, cosine, cotangent. Blurgh?!? Cue the start of class: "Your assignment is on the board. You may work quietly in groups. If you have any questions... ask your neighbor 'cause I can't help you." I know, I know. I committed the cardinal sin of subbing: "never admit you don't know what you're doing", but you can't BS your way through a math lesson. They ended up being a good class. Talkative, but I did give them permission, after all.

Lastly: calculus. Never made it that far. At least it's a class of seniors, and it's small. Glad I brought a book with me.

I have these same classes later this week. Yay! Yet another opportunity to feel utterly uneducated and ill-prepared!

One thing great about this whole subbing business: never a dull day. A few dull class periods here and there, but when you have high school one day and 5-year-olds the next...wheeeee!!!!

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home