Sub-Sister: Adventures in Substitute Teaching

Thursday, May 04, 2006

The funniest thing I have ever heard.

I subbed in a 2nd grade class the other day, and much like the 1st graders that KauaiMark realized are really "old" Kindergarteners, 2nd graders are only "old" 1sts. Apparently, kids don't start calming down until around 3rd grade, so these kids were full of energy. And sticky. Why are they always sticky, and why do they always want to hold your hand? I left school, went home, washed my hands thrice, and took a loooong nap.

But this class did something that nearly made me fall out of my chair. After this happened, I would dissolve into giggles for the next few days at the mere memory of this.

Okay. I had to drop the kids off at music, but when we went in the teacher wasn't there. No biggie. I had them sit on the risers, and asked them about the things they had been learning about music. While another teacher went in search of Ms. Music, I played them a few songs on the keyboard while they marched around the room and clapped their hands to the rhythm. Pretty average 7/8 year old stuff, right? Well, then they ask me if they can sing me a song. Great! How fun and cute. They then all huddle together to come to a consensus on which song will best show their musical talents. Much quicker than I would have thought possible for a group of 2nd graders, they solemnly line up on the risers, and commence with the singing.

Not "Twinkle, Twinkle". Not "I'm Bringing Home A Baby Bumblebee". Not even a jaunty Disney tune. No. They break out the Green Day.

Green Day.

"American Idiot".

They actually got through a chorus and part of a verse:

Don't want to be an American idiot.
One nation controlled by the media.
Information age of hysteria.
It's calling out to idiot America.

Welcome to a new kind of tension.
All across the alien nation... mumble mumble...
(Feet shuffling)

I don't think I've ever been so amused in my whole life.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home