Sub-Sister: Adventures in Substitute Teaching

Saturday, January 06, 2007

Sub On Wheels

Ok, I've been feeling a little guilty because I've writing so much about bus driving lately. But then I think, "Hey, I'm still a sub! I still fill in when I'm needed. I still spend the time trying to keep kids from bleeding, throwing up, or killing each other. I just do it at 45 mph."

In case you've been wondering what it might be like to be a substitute bus driver, and I know you have, then just do this: Stand facing a whiteboard (although a blackboard would add an authentic irritating noise), pretend that you have to really concentrate on copying down a complex mathematical equation for the lesson, and then try control the crowd of ruffians behind you. Don't turn around! And that nifty li'l mirror above your head don't show you nothin' useful.

Yep. Definitely still a sub. Also, I do attempt to teach them something. Hey, wait for the crowd to all stand up on the bus yet again, stop suddenly (Beast can stop on a dime, people!), wait for the children to finish rolling down the aisle, yell, "See why you're supposed to sit down?!?", and see if they don't learn reeeeealllll quick-like :)

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home