Sub-Sister: Adventures in Substitute Teaching

Monday, July 03, 2006

Months of work ruined!

Although my recent trip overseas was wonderful, I have found that there is one negative residual effect. You see, I worked for months developing an efficient "teacher's bladder"; that strange physical phenomenon that allows teachers to go for hours and hours without needing to visit the facilities. Because, as you surely know, it is not a good thing to have to leave a classroom full of kids... of any age.

Well, anyone who has ever been to Europe will tell you that going to the restroom anytime you can find one is a good idea. Public toilet? Let's go. One euro? I'll gladly fork it over. Free? Sweet! It doesn't matter whether or not you actually have to go. You will definitely have to sometime in the future, and there won't be a toilet anywhere nearby at that point. BUT if you go now... maybe you won't find yourself doing the pee-pee dance in the streets of Verona, hoping that the surly newsagent will have mercy on your non-italian-speaking soul.

So after three weeks of spur of the moment pottying, I have lost the ability to exert any control over my own body. My "teacher bladder" is now Pavlovian. Anytime I near a toilet, I have to go. If I even enter the kitchen, knowing that the bathroom is in the next room makes a trip neccessary.

I have roughly 2 months to get this thing under control! I can't start school like this. Rather than having that nightmare where you're naked in public, I keep having one where I'm forced to leave a class of mischevious teenagers to make an emergency bathroom run. When I return, half the class is gone, and the remaining kids are taking turns battering the class nerd whom they've managed to hog-tie and string up from the lighting. I wake up in a cold sweat every time ;)

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home