Sub-Sister: Adventures in Substitute Teaching

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Heartfelt Plea to "Real" Teachers- #2

Please, please, please. Please keep in mind the length of your classes when you make your sub-plans. For example, I recently had a day where the plans looked something like this:

1st block: Take spelling test.
2nd block: Have students type up their resumés.
3rd block: Spelling test.
4th block: Read Lincoln's speech in Literature book.

Now, just for clarification, each class is and hour and a half long. Got me? AN HOUR AND A HALF to take a 20 word spelling test. And to make life even funner, that last block assignment didn't come with a page number... or a book. When I managed to find a student who actually had their book on them (although why a 9th grade ESL student had a 12th grade Honors book on him I'll never know) I discovered that the speech took up half a page.

So please remember that I can only take so much conversation about how cute the Varsity Basketball center is, how "emo" the new kid is, how awesome the new Wii is, and give me enough material to fill the whole class period.

Besides, teenage boys tend to start practicing their wrestling moves on each other when they're bored and I'm running out of explanations as to why another three desks were destroyed, why Bobby has a bloody nose, and why Kevin has two fingers and a toe that are turning a lovely shade of plum. Although I must say that I have perfected my Michael Buffer impersonation.

"Lllet's Get Rready To Rruumbllllle!!"

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home