Sub-Sister: Adventures in Substitute Teaching

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Short 'n' Sweet

On a bus, I hear my name called repeatedly. Sometimes it's important information like, "Bobby threw up!" or "My nose is bleeding." But more often than not, it's important only to the child: "Look at this bug I found it's green and blue and green and it bit me so I threw it on the ground and then I saw this cool rock but the bug crawled up on it and I like it again and I named him Paul!" Anyway, the point is, that I've developed the ability to drown out all the useless chatter and only really "hear" stuff said in truly urgent tones.

Which is why I heard this the other day:

"Red light, Miss Bus Driver!"

So I stop (which I was going to do anyway, really, but anyone would perk up at a 5-year-old screeching about stop lights in their ear). And look in the rearview mirror to see my usual view of a kindergartener:



Then the child says, "Very good, Miss Bus Driver!"

Heh. Praise is always welcome :)

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home